Saturday, January 19, 2008

Final posting.on training.

The hopes of participating in a tournament are getting dim now.

My organization is not going to create an adult division for Kata due to lack of interest over there.

I'm not allowed to go to other Kyokushin events due to the politics of IKO1, IKO2, IKO3. So even if there are events happening in British Columbia, or Alberta, I am barred from them.

I am not allowed to go to Open events.

Ah well.. It's not like I'm not going to continue training, and working on my skills, but there is no need to document my progress anymore.

I might just use this blog as a form of training journal to remind myself of special points that I'm working on, and to look at my kata in more depth to improve them.

4 comments:

Steve said...

I don't understand how this works. Are there different substyles withing kyokushin? Are you all training in the same style of karate, or is it different? I'm confused.

Mir said...

O.K. Steve, I will try to explain as best as I can with what I have understood so far.

While Sosai Oyama was alive, all of the Kyokushin Martial artists were united worldwide into an organization called IKO ( International Kyokushin Organization).

When Sosai died in 1994, this organization split into various groups. At date there are about seven IKO in the world, if not more. Each IKO is led by a different Kancho. The students from each IKO is not usually allowed to train with, or compete in each other's tournaments, and seminars, etc. It is all politically based. Yes, there are minor differences between an IKO1, an IKO2, and an IKO3 student as they train such as the IKO1 may do a straight Gedan berai, and the IKO3 will do a Juji Gedan berai. But I do not believe that these are significant differences.

There is a movement amoung the various countries to unite Kyokushin again into one organization. Although I agree with this sentiment, I cannot see it happening in the near future.

Silverstar said...

Sorry to hear that you won't be competing, but I'm sure there will lots of other interesting things you could participate and blog about.:)

Mathieu said...

Politics kill karate.

It has always been the case. And if anything, it'll only get worse. ugh.

Not allowed in open events, that's pretty strange. Especially considering the similarities to shotokan.

I guess it's the disimilarities that do that...

oh well. Keep training, sensei!