Saturday, September 22, 2007

Video of Gekisai Dai ,and Gekisai Sho( In progress)

I gave my daughter the camera, told her to sit down on the ground ( In order to minimize any movement on the video), point, and shoot. I just wanted to capture my kata in some form so that I could see myself performing. I did the kata "cold" with no preparation or warm up so that any mistakes would be loud, and stand out. If I could redo the video, I'd want it to be a closer shot so that I could see more detailing of my hands, and feet.



For some strange reason, the sound is slightly delayed in the video.. wierd.



I truly feel the lack of flexibility in my hips when I do this kata. Those side kicks are supposed to be head level.. sigh.. I struggle for a middle height kick ( with much discomfort in the hips), most of the time I get a groin height kick.

Now, Npw... Let's see what I can improve on this kata instead of focusing on my limitations.

5 comments:

Mir said...

I always give a positive comment for each negative one. So...

1. My stances are level, knees obviously bent, and back leg straight when needed.

2. I can hear that my breathing is more controlled, and fits the technique.

3. My back is straight, and hips are in. In fact, I can see good hip rotation on a fair number of the blocks.

To fix:
1. Started off Gekisai Dai in the wrong stance. It's supposed to be Sanchin Dachi, not Zenkutsu Dachi. It must be all of the Taikyoku kata training that made that first move feel so natural.

2. Something funny is happening with my back foot when I do Sanchin stance, it's not turning in as it should. I feel tension back there, but as I look at the video, it seems that the knee is still pointing forwards.. hmmm...

3. My top fist on my double punches is a little high, it's like I'm aiming for my opponent's hat.

Mathieu said...

To your credit :

the sanchin stance was taught for 6h on a seminar we went to. I still don't get it.

It's pretty hard.

3. your top fist appears high, but might not be that high. Could it be caused by the lower view point?

:D

Mir said...

You are SO right Mat!!!! The camera was at groin height when taking the image, not at usual eye height. I was seeing myself from my "arse" ( as Shihan Colin likes to describe it ) It would look different from that perspective. Thank you!

Mathieu said...

You're welcome!

The sanchin stance, I still don't get how to feel good tension without hurting the body.

Knees are very delicate. (mine)

Be well.

Mir said...

Sanchin.. hmmm.. Well.. with each style you will find that they have a different "emphasis" on their stance. Let me describe what a Kyokushin ka would want on my other weblog for you, and see if that helps you with your stance.